Wednesday 13 November 2013

Heavy school bags and children

Heavy school bags can cause serious health problems for children
I remember, the time when I used to go school. I always had heavy bag with me full of books, note books, lunch box, water bottle, some sports box etc. Without any assistance I took my bag from home to school and school to home. Although, school was not far from my home but the small distance I used to cover in frustration, and shoulder aches. No one ever felt the pain I suffer due to my heavy bag. Heavy bags were considered a sign of hard working and brilliant students.The same concept is seen now a days, I observe students carrying heavy bags on their backs frustrated, and angry. I see, while walking they keep their bags downs and sit at road to relax for some seconds, carry bag at one shoulder, or on the crook of elbow and many other such postures. Oh! that time I feel what they actually face.
The purpose is not only to feel the pain of children but assist them being aware of their pain as;
  • Studies approved that bags if they're more than 15 % of the child’s weight may lead to neck, shoulders and back pains.
  • Heavy bags can strain muscles, joints and may cause back pain and serious spinal injuries in later life.
  • Heavy backpacks can cause turning of shoulders.
  • Sometimes due to putting bag on back or shoulders inappropriately can also be reason to strain muscles and later on lead to joint problems.
  • Carrying heavy bag regularly can damage spine.


So It is very essential to check the weight of child’s bag to protect them from back and shoulders injuries.

Parents should try to check child’s school bag regularly so that extra and unnecessary stuff could be removed from bag to make it lighter.

Parents must select child's bag with lighter weight so that it reduce the weight after filling it.

Parents should teach the children how to carry bag correctly Or  bags with wheels can be preferred so that children can wheel their bags along.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Facebook Themes